Thursday, April 1, 2010

MGRP

1.Newsletter from teacher-to-parents:
I created a newsletter to inform parents and guardians about how and why I construct read-alouds in our classroom. It was supposed to be Issue 3, as in the 3rd week of school. The secondary headline of the newsletter was inviting parents and guardians to become involved by signing up to come in and read-aloud to the class. Therefore, I also created a sign-up sheet asking for names and availability.

I felt this genre was important because it connected the research I found about read-alouds to being able to share it with parents and guardians.

2.Award to author:
I designed an award to present to two authors of an article I used as a resource. The concept of the idea “Text Talk” by these authors was used in my research paper.

I personally liked their idea and therefore decided making an award to them would be appropriate. Having it displayed for presentation brought up questions by other classmates and allowed me to explain the idea to others.

3.Letter from parent to teacher with a response back from teacher:
The parents of a student in my class wrote to me asking me to inform them more on the “Text Talk” concept since I only mentioned it briefly in the newsletter. I responded back with research found. Therefore, this genre is also connected to the above two genres.

Since parents do play a big role in the classroom, I wanted to create something that demonstrated positive communication between the parents and teacher.

4.Poetry:
I created a poem using R-E-A-D-A-L-O-U-D as first words of every thought. I made “read-aloud” seem like an actual person and listed roles it takes on.

I chose to do this, because I wanted to move away from the “Text Talk” theme and be creative in a different way.

5.Bumper sticker:
I designed a bumper sticker It had different things like “buy expensive learning toys, play Mozart to your babies, and limit television” all with a symbol indicating “NO, DO NOT DO THESE” next to each one. The statement “Read to your children!” was in bold underneath them.

I wanted to do this to sum up my overall point I wanted my paper to make, which is reading to your children is what is most important for reading and writing development.

FINAL RESPONSE/THOUGHTS:
I dreaded writing a research paper since I have not done so since high school. However, I chose a topic that I had interest in, which made it easier. I found a lot of interesting articles with valuable information to take into account later as a teacher of y own classroom someday. A multigenre research project was a concept I had never heard of before. I actually enjoyed creating the different genres I chose. I think if I teach 4th or 5th grade, this is something I would love to incorporate into the curriculum.

1 comment:

  1. First I'm going to say: you are doing thee most with the break down lol. Now I agree about the feelings of havign to write a research paper. It is sometimes a struggle but I felt like it was easy to write this one.Maybe its because in high school we were not able to choose our topics and there was not a genres included.

    ReplyDelete